Spiciest soup on the menu burns hole through Chinese man's stomach lining
Doctors in China were left dumbfounded
when they discovered a hole in a man's stomach wall after he ate a
notoriously spicy bowl of soup. The 26-year-old unnamed male had consumed a mala soup, meaning 'numbing hot', a traditional Chinese dish. After choosing the spiciest version of the dish from the menu, the man soon experienced a piercing pain in his stomach.
Deadly: After consuming a dish of mala soup, the
26-year-old male was admitted to hospital in Wuhan, China. Doctors
concluded that the notoriously spicy soup had burned a hole through his
The unlucky customer soon found himself vomiting blood before being rushed to a local hospital in Wuhan. Despite
having no medical history of ulcers or other gastrointestinal
disorders, doctors concluded that the spicy soup had burned a hole
through his stomach wall. According to a report on Japanese site Rocket News 24, 15 per cent of incidents involving stomachs at the hospital are related to hot pot dishes.
The traditional Chinese dish is prepared using Sichuan pepper, a local spice, and chilli pepper/ The combination is known to cause a numbing sensation when consumed. Most restaurants serving the dish offer it with varying degrees of spiciness. According
to local reports, many Chinese restaurants have begun to replace the
natural, more expensive ingredients in hot pot dishes for cheaper,
synthetic additives that replicate the spiciness.
Danger: The man was brought to a hospital in Wuhan, China